Wednesday, December 20, 2006

chou ちょう

means very, really, so. . .Its usage seems to most closely resemble many English speakers' usage of the word so, as in ちょうかわいい!(So cute!), ちょうかっこいい(So cool--), ちょうおいしい、これ!(This tastes so good!). In other words, it's an effective way to emphasize a point.

I've met a few people here who have said that the younger generation overuses the word ちょう. The criticism is that relying on the word too much has led to the neglecting other equally effective words (i.e. synonyms and longer, descriptive phrases), inadvertantly decreasing the vocabulary pool of these our times. I don't know whether or not this generalization is accurate, but I do agree that
ちょう is more commonly used by younger people than their parents and grandparents.

No comments:

おつかれやま!!! (In romaji, "Otsukareyama!!!" In kanji, お疲れ山?)

 All of my former students in Japan officially ended their school year this week, I believe. Some will return in April, others have graduat...