Friday, December 8, 2006

日本語 Today!

Welcome to my Japanese vocabulary blog. I've been living and working in Tokyo, and one of the things that keeps me going is learning the language, or at least feeling like I'm learning it. . .I've never attended a Japanese language school over here (although I did take night classes for 7 months at a community college in Hawai'i, just before coming here), so I rely on other resources--television, manga, the occasional movie, izakaya conversation, announcements over loudspeakers, graffiti, and of course everyday contact with the people around me.

Before you read on, I should tell you that my Japanese isn't very good. If you live in Japan and use the language in your day-to-day life, this blog will probably not help you much. I make frequent grammatical and conjugation errors. I hardly read kanji. And I sometimes get into trouble for using certain words in the wrong situations. This is all by way of saying that my lessons in the Japanese language are sometimes hard and unpleasant, sometimes pretty funny, and always feel real. I hope to share them with you. . .
It Lives, this Language! It is Alive. . .

P.S. If you’re just starting to study the language, you can find resources for hiragana and katakana at these sites:
http://www.bitboost.com/TT_about-the-kana.html
http://www.kanachart.com/

2 comments:

MUSE said...

I think it will be cool. Lo creo y que te vaya muy bien!!!

Wesley H.W. Tong said...

Thanks, violinhunter! Sorry for the slow, slow reply. I got caught up in things and almost completely forgot about this blog.

How do you say "Ganbarimasu" in Spanish?

おつかれやま!!! (In romaji, "Otsukareyama!!!" In kanji, お疲れ山?)

 All of my former students in Japan officially ended their school year this week, I believe. Some will return in April, others have graduat...