Sunday, August 11, 2013

 more on ice and こおり

Other uses of こおり: 

角氷 (かくごおり) is apparently the way to say ice cube in a countable form.  My understanding is that asking for こおり is like asking "Could I have some ice?" instead of the grammatically correct but perhaps less natural-sounding "Could I have a dozen or so ice cubes?"

Ice pick is アイスピック.

Ice tongs is 氷挟み ( こおりばさみ) or アイストング.

かき氷(かきごおり)is the word for shaved ice (in Hawai'i, "shave ice") or snow cone.



In summertime, you'll see this sign at many a festival and in parks on sunny days.  I find it a comforting sight.

No comments:

おつかれやま!!! (In romaji, "Otsukareyama!!!" In kanji, お疲れ山?)

 All of my former students in Japan officially ended their school year this week, I believe. Some will return in April, others have graduat...