Friday, April 19, 2013

久しぶり。。。It's been a while

久しぶり (Hisashiburi!) is one of the more frequently used words in Japan, I think--mainly because people often do go a long time without seeing each other, and when they finally do get together it can be a nice thing.   And so the most often used word upon meeting after a long time is hisashiburi.  One could also say shibarakuburi, which (according to one of my textbooks) is more formal.  To be very formal, you could say "Shibarakuburi de gozaimasu."

 ______-buri is a useful and practical thing to commit to memory.  "Sannenburi desu" means it's been 3 years since you did something (as sannen means 3 years).  Gonnenburi would mean it's been 5 years, etc.  "Nannenburi deshou ka?" would mean something like "How long's it been?" or "How many years has it been since--?". . .something along those lines.

Well it's been like six years since I posted a blog entry on this site. Geez man, I can't believe it's been so long.  I got sidetracked and kind of forgot about it.  The name of the blog is Japanese Word of the Day, and I'll honestly do my best to post an entry for each day, although I may not be able to do it every day (Work, you know!); but I will try to make sure it averages out .

Ganbatte, everybody who's out there studying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please keep on posting entries like anecdotes, new words you've come across recently, or anything really about Japanese!
It's fun to read about your experiences.
Thank you And 頑張ってくれてありがとう!

Wesley Tong said...

Thank you, and I'm sorry for having taken so long to respond.
I haven't been paying much attention to this blog for a few yrs, but I'm starting up again, and it's nice to hear from people

おつかれやま!!! (In romaji, "Otsukareyama!!!" In kanji, お疲れ山?)

 All of my former students in Japan officially ended their school year this week, I believe. Some will return in April, others have graduat...