Tuesday, April 23, 2013

切ない (せつない) setsunai

I just saw The Descendants (the George Clooney movie), and I found it heartbreaking.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great movie. . .The story seems universal to me, and not particularly about life in Hawai'i.  (By the way, in case I haven't mentioned it, I'm from Hawai'i., born and raised.)  It could have taken place anywhere, although the whole issue about the Hawaiian land trust might have to manifest itself in some other way.

Anyway, when something is heartbreaking, tear-inducing, painful. . .If you just say "せつない!", Japanese speakers will understand.

PS  You could also say "Setsunee!"

PPS  A trailer for The Descendants

No comments:

おつかれやま!!! (In romaji, "Otsukareyama!!!" In kanji, お疲れ山?)

 All of my former students in Japan officially ended their school year this week, I believe. Some will return in April, others have graduat...